Code of Conduct
The CSC is a public focused-event. It is intended to be a place that sometimes puts you outside of your comfort zone, as per our mission crafted back in 2003: Dance-Party-Challenge-Grow
We believe in the mixing of diverse groups of people that our dance scene encourages and makes possible. We believe in humor and the power of not taking oneself seriously. We believe in rights to a damn good time in an adult environment where you can be yourself and participate in something real. In that sense, and in that sense only, it is designed to be an “unsafe” place. We want you to push yourself, learn new things, and meet people who will challenge you in whatever passion, artistic or otherwise you pursue.
In order to make this happen, however, we expect you to abide to the following no-nonsense principles. To put it simply, by attending the Canadian Swing Championships, you agree not to be a tool.
1. Everybody is Welcome. This environment is for everyone regardless of gender/role identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, religion, and so on.
2. Thou Shalt Not… We do not tolerate harassment of any kind. If you harass someone, you may be asked to leave. You may even be kicked out permanently. It is at our discretion. We are serious. So don’t do it.
3. Mind Your Semantics. Don’t use misogynist, homophobic, sexist, transphobic, ableist, or racist language. It’s not only wrong; it’s harmful, embarrassing and in bad taste.
4. Party/Dance with Class. Do your very best not to hurt or wound your partner while dancing with them and attempting challenging moves… If in doubt, ask them beforehand and get their explicit consent.
5. This is Not a Troll Cave. Our party-cipants may indeed be here to party, but perhaps not with you. That means that sometimes you must accept that you need to party with someone else. If someone says “No” to you, acknowledge it. No one is obligated to do anything with you. A refusal can be difficult to deal with. We can understand, the ego thing and all. Be an adult and move on!
6. Slavery is Dead – Consent Rules! Remember that no one is entitled to dance with you. Therefore, you can say no! You can stop dancing with someone before the songs ends. We remind you that there is no such thing as to “say yes to every dance” in our dance scene.
We serve drinks. Some may even contain booze. You are welcome to drink booze if you want. You don’t want to drink booze? You’re definitely welcome to jump up and down, boogie all around and party with the CSC crew. Know your limits cause if you don’t, that will negatively affect the vibe. If you drink, don’t drive. We will gladly call you a cab or Point Zero 8 if you need a ride.
You ARE a SWING-Ambassador
The CSC does take place in an hotel environment. This means that we are not alone on the premises. Be a good SWING-Ambassador to the non-dance world. Keep the noise levels low, keep the place clean, and always be respectful toward the installations, the staff and your fellow hotel guests.
We encourage you to express your concerns to any member of the event staff. In other words, if you experience, see, hear something… Say something! We are here to help.
…AND NOW LET’S DANCE AND LET’S PARTY!
The CSC org team wishes to thank the Baltimore Mobtown Ballroom and Swing Dance Sydney for the inspiration in crafting this document.
© 2023 by CSC team
© 2023 by CSC team